Re: Feta font modifications by Janek

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Feta font modifications by Janek
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 20:32:12 +0200

2013/9/4 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 2013/9/4 Peter Bjuhr <address@hidden>:
>>> Is this what I need to do next to get the remote branches?
>>
>> If you just want to build these branches with my script you shouldn't
>> have to do anything.
>>
>>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/working-with-remote-branches
>>
>> Oh my God!  This looks awful, and is probably meant for ancient Git
>> versions (like 1.7.0).  Ugh.  We should update that instructions...
>>
>> With new git versions (1.8 and above), you can just do 'git checkout
>> origin/blahblah' and a local 'blahblah' branch will be created
>> automatically for you (and checked-out).
>
> Uh, no?  It doesn't create a local branch but rather checks out a commit
> detached from any branch.  At least that's what Git 1.8.3.2 does for me
> (and it did so as long as I remember).

You are right, i apologize for my mistake.
However, 'git checkout blahblah' (without 'origin/') will create a
local 'blahblah' branch, tracking 'origin/blahblah' (as long as a
local 'blahblah' branch hadn't existed yet, or course),
and this _is_ a relatively new feature in git.

>> If you'd like to give your local branch a specific name, you can run
>> 'git branch myname remotebranch', i.e. 'git branch foo origin/trololo'
>> will create a local branch 'foo' that will be tracking branch
>> 'trololo' from remote 'origin'.
>
> Sure.  Again, this has been this way, like, forever.

Hard to tell why contributors' guide lists a less straightforward command then.

best,
Janek