Re: merging notes

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: merging notes
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:57:05 +0200

On 09/06/2013 11:06 AM, Karl Hammar wrote:
Yes, I know.
But it's assumed in the text.
Hmm, where is that assumption stated?

This is simply non-obvious and confusing that in some examples one
cannot copy the visibly code and get the shown result.

Sorry if I stated the obvious! I interpreted your question wrongly. I don't know enough of the documentation system to defend it. Maybe someone else can answer this!?

In what way isn't it a bug when an e2 looks like an e4.

If I really wanted a half note to look like a quater note I'd use e4*2,
then it is obvious in the code that I do something "unusual".

Yes, and

   The half note and eighth note at the start of the second measure
   are incorrectly merged because the automatic merge cannot
   successfully complete the merge when three or more notes line up
   in the same note column, and in this case the merged note head is
   incorrect.

after the third example confirms that "failing".

When writing ly-files, such "failings" would be very hard to spot.

I revised my answer now in the morning, hope you have seen it. An e2 shouldn't look like an e4, I agree!

But I still don't think it is a bug. If you use /oneVoice in this way you have accept some additional fixing, which is also documented below.

Best
Peter