Re: Project Completed(-ish): 120 R.H. Studies by Giuliani

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Project Completed(-ish): 120 R.H. Studies by Giuliani
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 13:17:16 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2013/9/7 Marc Hohl <address@hidden>:
>> Am 06.09.2013 23:27, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I'm very surprised that this attachment went through.  Nevertheless,
>>> please don't send so big attachments in the future - considering that
>>> this mailing list has about 1000 subsribers, sending your email meant
>>> transferring ~2GB of data around the world.  It's much better to
>>> upload the file and link to it.
>>

>> ... or just to claim \pointAndClickOff before creating the pdf which
>> yields in a 250k file compared to 1.7 megs before ;-)
>
> I think that we should turn point and click off by default.  It only
> makes sense with smart editors like Frescobaldi, which should be able
> to turn this on when they need it.

I very much disagree.  lilypond-invoke-editor alone supports emacs,
gvim, uedit32, nedit, gedit, jedit, syn and lilypad which can be started
from pretty much any PDF viewer and from HTML browsers.

The mechanism does not require a "smart editor" at all.  It is enough to
have any old editor that has command line options for positioning inside
of a file.

A working point-and-click is quite important for someone beginning to
work with LilyPond (part of the reason for working with LilyPad in the
first place), and it is particularly those who'll not easily know how or
_why_ to turn on a particular feature that is desirable for a specific
workflow.

--
David Kastrup