Re: film score example

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: film score example
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 07:26:56 -0400

Hi Janek (et al.),

> I think that we should add to LilyPond a simple, user-friendly
> interface that would allow choosing the "density" of music, so that
> one could write
> \layout { \horizontalSpacingLoose }
> and it would result in common-shortest-duration being increased by
> some factor.

+1

Just make sure it doesn't get confused by \newSpacingSection or a manual change
in the common-shortest-duration (both of which I use regularly).

> Please take a look at this snippet:
> http://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/blob/master/input-shorthands/articulations-not-aligned-with-notes.ly
> It has some issues, but you'll get an idea immediately after compiling
> it.  I think it's clever and could probably be added to default LilyPond.

I would prefer an even more straight-forward input, if possible.

On a related note, something I've been asking for forever (and willing to
sponsor) is the ability to change the bounds of horizontal spanners by duration
— that would solve this problem easily, without need for additional voices.

> If i understood correctly what you mean by "subito dynamic right after
> a hairpin", this would be another case where smart alignment would
> help.  And a better interface for creating custom dynamics.

+1*2

Best,
Kieren.