Re: Handicapped barcheck message in Lilypond version 2.17.26-1 (and also

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Handicapped barcheck message in Lilypond version 2.17.26-1 (and also in Mac OSX PPC 2.16.2)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:58:43 +0200

On 16 Sep 2013, at 21:12 , David Kastrup wrote:

Not before we get more data.  I don't see 0/0 in current master but
rather 1/2 as before.  So we need to get more data (which platform
exactly, which binary etc).  Since I can't reproduce this on current
master and there has not really been any relevant change I can remember,
this points to a bad compilation and/or a platform-specific problem.  Or
something related to garbage collection.  We need to see whether we can
reproduce this on another system.

The problem is in the Mac OS X PPC binary. I downloaded and installed the file MacOS X PPC: LilyPond 2.17.26-1 (from http://www.lilypond.org/development.html).

As I have two Mac OS X systems, one older PPC (Power PC architecture) and my regular MacBook Pro (Intel architecture). I have Lilypond running on both because the PPC is in my music room, while I do most work on the MacBook, files are supplied via the network, etc. The PPC is normally only used to check, display and quickly correct small problems.

The Intel architecture runs OK, the PPC produces this strange error. Below the message from the PPC binary on the PPC system:

% uname -a
Darwin powerpc 8.11.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

% cat test-barcheck.ly
\version "2.17.26"

\relative f {
        c'4 d | e f g a b c
}

% /Applications/LilyPond-2.17.26-1.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond test-barcheck.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.17.26
Processing `test-barcheck.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
test-barcheck.ly:4:13: warning: barcheck failed at: 0/0
        c'4
            d | e f g a b c
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `test-barcheck.ps'...
Converting to `./test-barcheck.pdf'...
Success: compilation successfully completed

Running a large set of files (7 includes, 7 pieces i a book format, 21 pages output, 2500 lines, including midi of .ly code) is all OK, but when I force a barcheck somewhere it shows this same error: 0/0 instead of the proper indication......

But then I went back to the last stable (2.16.2) release. And to my surpise it has the same problem......... So I was wrong and too quick in tying it to the new development version, this problem is older and/or deeper.

I'm not sure how many people are still using the PPC binaries or how this binary is created, but apparantly there is some problem there. For the Mac-freaks: when I load the PPC binary on the Intel (and run it with the default Mac architecture emulation) exactly the same error message is produced which confirms to me it is that specific binary, not the architecture.

Regards,
Wim.