Re: Changes to VoltaBracket Y-extent interface since 2.16?

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: Changes to VoltaBracket Y-extent interface since 2.16?
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 23:36:46 -0700

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 01:00:16AM +0000, Keith OHara wrote:

> The announcement of the change is at
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/changes/index.html

Thanks, Keith.  I'll refer to that page as I continue to move
my engraving from 2.16 toward 2.18.

> the "Previously" image links to sample input showing how to
> get the old behavior.

Also noted, thanks again.  Here's why I was tweaking voltas to
begin with....

It's a rather small issue, but as Lilypond continues to become
a better and better engraving tool that makes better and better
default choices, it seems like only small issues are left, that I
encounter.

The first score in the attached example is untweaked Lilypond
output.  The first volta bracket is much farther above the chords
than is the second, due in part to the fact that the second
brackets starts slightly farther left, relative to where the
first one does.  Still, the second bracket is very snug to the
chordnames staff.  I appreciate this "vertical frugality" because
I'm often/always trying to keep things to one or two pages.
Notice also that the first bracket is closer to the staff above
it than the second bracket is.

The second score shows tweaked output which also isn't perfect
(not that I would recognize perfect!), but which I believe would
be more ideal default behaviour, insofar as the relative spacing
of the first and second volta brackets is more comparable, both
with regard to the chordnames staff below each bracket, and the
preceding staff above each bracket.

Jim