Re: align in \markup

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: align in \markup
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 01:01:30 -0700 (PDT)

dak wrote
> MING TSANG <

> tsang94@

> > writes:
>
>> Hi,Eluze & David:
>>
>> I try Eluze' suggestion and the result is much better.
>
> It's not "better", it's different.  LilyPond aligns material along a
> baseline, and the baseline is at coordinate 0.  One designs character
> and path statements such that they are in a good position with regard to
> this baseline: if you centered every character on an axis, the result
> would be pretty unreadable, and _ and - would be indistinguishable.
>
> \general-align #Y #CENTER overrides the decision encoded in
> character/path regarding its baseline.  But that means that you can no
> longer make your own decision about the best place of the baseline by an
> appropriate choice of coordinates.

I also think our solutions are "different" - the main question for me is why
your drawing starts with a "(moveto 0 1)" which makes you unhappy later.

vertically centering both objects is your decision - why not start the
drawing at 0 0 and align the objects on the same line in the markup, as
David suggests, i.e. use LilyPond's default or - if you have good reasons -
change the alignment to a suiting value!

Eluze