Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:11:35 +0100

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 20:28 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Denemo completely ignores the time-stamps on the midi input
> > stream. The midi events are serialized into a buffer by a separate
> > thread, and Denemo just picks them up in the order they appear in the
> > queue. If you want to generate a LilyPond chord you need to hold the
> > Alt key down or press the sustain pedal. And then, as with all other
> > rhythmic matters, you can play the chord as raggedly or as
> > simultaneously as you like.
>
> Uh, that does not sound like it would make entry with the chord buttons
> fun.
Denemo has a command to fetch incoming MIDI events and filter them (with
a scheme script) - this would be too slow for fast music but is quite
usable for entering music at a sedate pace. There is a demo showing
creating chords over a baseline done by running such a MIDI filter
inside Denemo - in this case I just played the base note and the
chord(s) and the scheme script sorted out everything else. (See
https://vimeo.com/62426412 where you can hear the delays as the -
interpreted - scheme sorts out what duration to assign to the chords)

Richard