Re: Flat flags

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Flat flags
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 23:37:06 +0200

2013/10/1 Gilberto Agostinho <address@hidden>:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thank you so much for your help! Indeed this is very close to what I am
> looking for, but there is a small catch: your code does not provide a result
> identical to the \set stemLeftBeamCount = #0 note[]. The flags' position are
> not matching the staff lines (look at the picture attached where all will be
> cleared).

Hi Gilberto,

ofcourse your observations are correct.

LilyPond's treating of flagged and beamed stems is different and
results in different stem-lengths.
Therefore I doubt that a new defined flag ever matches the behaviour
of a modified beam.

My coding of flat-flags matches exactly the way how
old/modern-straight-flags are build.
(A little fine-tuning might still be necessary.)

You could try to adjust Stem.details-length to equal the behaviour of
beamed/flagged stems, though, I doubt you'll find a generalized
sollution.

Attached you'll find the code again.
Including some fine-tuning of flat-flag and a test-routine for some use-cases.
(Note the different lengths for flagged and beamed stems in some cases.)
For better viewing/comparing I played around with 'color and 'layer.
I also added the default-values for Stem.details.lengths and
Stem.details.beamed-lengths in case you really want to alter them.

HTH,
  Harm