Re: Piano/Xylophone key diagrams

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Piano/Xylophone key diagrams
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 15:10:48 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> At college, one of my ensembles is a mixed-music group performing
> modern music.  I normally get away with singing or "playing" a
> triangle and bits of other untuned percussion.  Imagine my surprised
> when I was given a xylophone piece to play.  Fortunately, it's only
> one note at a time, and most of them are the same note, repeated for
> four bars, so I generally have the time to work out where the next key
> is when I'm playing the current one.  However, I thought it might be
> interesting and vaguely useful to have some piano key diagrams which
> show which key is to be played, rather like the fingering diagrams.
> The attached image illustrates the kind of thing: playing D#.
>
> I know I could use box, rounded-box or filled-box, or moveto/lineto
> commands to draw the boxes, so I clearly could create the diagrams
> individually for each note.  However, I thought it would be better to
> create a function to do this.  I'd presume the location of each box
> would be in some sort of array/list, and that the function would use
> the 'pitch of the note to determine which to fill.  However, I've read
> our documentation on scheme and am stuck on how to start, either
> creating the array/list and iterating over it to draw boxes, or
> grabbing the pitch value of a note.
>
> Could anyone start me off on this and help when I get stuck again?

Starting off would be on
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3563#c4>.  Check
its output.  This is basically what you need, except that you need to
replace the C-Griff function which uses filled and non-filled circles in
a three-row arrangement with a more tedious rectangular arrangement.

The c-griff function here only does the formatting and would need to be
completely replaced.  In contrast, the stuff in define-scheme-function
could be kept unchanged.

--
David Kastrup