Re: forcing MultiMeasureRests to combine

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: forcing MultiMeasureRests to combine
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:52:20 +0200

> Why do you use s rather than \skip if you don't want to have
> LilyPond notice events?
>
> It's comments (questions) like that which make me feel like there are
> deep, deep secrets about Lilypond that even I (after more than a
> decade of heavy Lily-use) have no inkling.  =)
>
> What's the difference?
> I have ALWAYS used s and \skip "equivalently".
>
> Put another way, should this snippet behave differently than my first one?
>
> \version "2.17.13"
>
> global = {
>   \repeat "unfold" 8 { \skip 1 }
> }

Uh, apparently not.  Seems like I was confused about the difference
between s and \skip here.  To sum what differences I know of:

a) s starts a Bottom context, \skip doesn't
b) s can take articulations, \skip (at least syntactically) not
c) s uses/sets the default duration in the parser, \skip doesn't

So basically the most noticeable difference for the first point is when
writing something like

\new StaffGroup { \skip 1*8 \new Staff { c4 c c c } }
as opposed to
\new StaffGroup { s1*8 \new Staff { c4 c c c } }

--
David Kastrup