Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 20:30:58 -0600

On 13-10-16 08:05 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:

With my template system, most hymns take me 1/2 an hour at most, and
probably 85% of that is music input, 10% of it is linking the template
files together, and 5% of that is fixing input errors.
So here is the challenging question: what would be required to have a
hymn typesetter be able to look at the documentation of LilyPond, and
start typesetting hymns with the delivered doc and styles within an
hour?

That will very likely mean that the documentation and the available
files/styles would need to be different.  How do we get your knowhow
into LilyPond in a way that gives those others no excuse even if they
don't fancy getting a training session with you?

Would you consider this a worthwhile endeavor?

If it's useful, Carlo could have a look at the Vocal Music Snippets in the documentation, which contains things such as hymn templates, as well as the available material in tne Notation Reference under section 2.1. I can then correspond directly with him off the list, to generate a set of suggested updates either to NR or the snippets manual. I haven't looked at LSR lately, but there may also be gold to be mined ther eas well.

Cheers,
Colin

PS:
@Janek: would a library of templates, not snippets, be a useful test for a workflow management system?

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
You need to be able to throw something back.