Evenly spacing lyrics

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Evenly spacing lyrics
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 21:08:08 -0400

All,

Is there a way to tell LilyPond to try to space lyrics evenly, as opposed to spacing notes roughly proportionally? I'm working with an SATB hymn sheet where there are dotted half notes and quarter notes and eighth notes all together, and the normal spacing engine that gives more space to longer notes is causing the lyrics to look badly spaced, particularly on less dense lines (I manual line break to keep lyrical phrases on one line). see example1.jpg, attached.

I figured out that I could get fairly even lyrical spacing (or rather, fairly even note spacing), by setting the shortest note duration arbitrarily small, as in:

\override SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1/128)

However, the problem is that it makes the space between the bar line and the following note rather small and the space between the bar line and the preceding note larger, as in example2.jpg.

Is there a compromise? A way to get the notes to space evenly regardless of duration, but still have the notes appear centered between the bars?

Thanks,
Carl