Re: Barlines obscuring text in score

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Barlines obscuring text in score
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 07:06:00 -0800 (PST)

It is very interesting that Gould states this (is this from hers "Behind
Bars: the Definitive Guide to Music Notation"?). Although this makes
perfectly sense, I think that a lot of musicians (myself included until now)
would not have thought that a "piu F" indication starts at the F position
instead at the beginning of the text.

In the case of "subito", it indeed can come after the main dynamic (and this
solves a lot of problems, as you point out). But sometimes you have
indications that can't have the dynamic at the start. such as "piu F" or
"quasi p". On my edition of Boulez's Structures 1a, some long text
indications such as "sempre quasi F" start immediately below the note it
affects.

Anyway, I will check this out. Thanks for pointing it ou!

Regards,
Gilberto