Beam positions and time signature spacing

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Beam positions and time signature spacing
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 08:50:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I am not too sure if I do agree with some of the automatic beam position
done by LilyPond, and also by the spacing between a time signature and the
first note. First, about the beams. Here is a little code showing the
problem:

beam.ly <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n153538/beam.ly>

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n153538/beams.png>

So as the image above states, I believe that the staff lines should never
appear through the gap of the beams when dealing with 16th notes or shorter.
Does anyone knows if what I am saying here is correct? Could someone check
on Elaine Gould's book, or some other engraving book?

* * *

My second issue is really small (literally), but I hope my nitpicking will
be understood. I just feel that the spacing between the time signature and
the first note should be the same or larger than the space between the clef
and the time signature (when no key signature is present). The image below
shows it more clearly:

spacing.ly <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n153538/spacing.ly>

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n153538/spacing.png>

I would be very glad to hear what you all think about this.

Regards,
Gilberto