Re: string->number scheme

From: Stjepan Horvat
Subject: Re: string->number scheme
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:06:05 +0100

header won't display numbers..i'm using lastest development version..

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Stjepan Horvat <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi guys..
> I would want to make a simple function that would convert my string to
> number..wha?
>
> i have a a variable inside header that is called bpm. inside bpm is my
> tempo but in string.

Why?

> for example:
>
> \header {
>   bpm = "123"
> }
>
> {
> \tempo 4 = \bpm
> c'4
> }
>
> or in midi block
>
> \midi { \tempo 4 = \bpm }
>
> i had an idea of converting string to number using string->number..
> #(define bpm "123")
> #(define bpmInt (string->number bpm)

Missing closing paren, it would seem.

> but it didnt work nor
>
> bpmInt =
> #(define-music-function
>     (parser location bpm
>     (string?)
>     (string->number bpm)))

The body of define-music-function needs to return music, so you probably
would want define-scheme-function instead.

> any ideas.?

I have no idea why you don't just write

    bpm = 123

and that's that.  Why go through a string in the first place?

--
David Kastrup