Re: notation rule question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: notation rule question
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:48:44 +0100

"Karol Majewski" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have question that is not related directly to lilypond. It refers to
> notation rules. How to divide a long note that starts at first
> half-beat in 4/4:
>
> r8 c8 ~ c2.
>
> or
>
> r8 c4. ~ c2
>
> ?
>
> If both are OK, then which one do you prefer? I couldn't find such
> rhythm in hand engraved scores. Perhaps I should look at music written
> in 19th century and later, but I simply have no time.

Definitely

r8 c4. ~ 2

(yes, I'm pretending issue 3648 has already passed).  r8 c4. forms a
logical rhythmical subgroup, and so does the following half note.

In contrast, c2. would start at a somewhat syncopial time, suggesting a
stress that should not be there in the total note length.

--
David Kastrup