Re: notation rule question

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Re: notation rule question
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 15:15:46 -0700

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Karol Majewski <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have question that is not related directly to lilypond. It refers to
> notation rules. How to divide a long note that starts at first half-beat in
> 4/4:
>
> r8 c8 ~ c2.
>
> or
>
> r8 c4. ~ c2
>
> ?
>
> If both are OK, then which one do you prefer? I couldn't find such rhythm in
> hand engraved scores. Perhaps I should look at music written in 19th century
> and later, but I simply have no time.

Divide it in the middle of the bar. 'r8 c4.~ c2' is preferred. This is
how I understand it for 4/4 time:
- Prefer to break a long note between beats 2 and 3.
- There are exceptions for extremely simple rhythms.
  * 'c1'
  * 'c4 c2.' (and 'c2. c4')
  * 'c4 c2 c4'
  * etc.

There is a lot of 19th century engravings which do not follow these
rules so don't always blindly trust old engravings. (One I see a lot
in the B&H Kling editions of the Mozart horn concerti is 'c4 c4. c8 c
c'. The dotted-quarter should really be split.)

The main goal is to ensure that the rhythm is understandable in
relation to the underlying beats involved. (See Gould 'Sustaining
notes across beats' for more information.)

-----Jay