Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 19:31:04 +0100

SoundsFromSound <address@hidden> writes:

> The biggest complaint I've heard from many of my peers (when it comes
> to possibly switching from Finale/Sibelius) is that "LilyPond looks
> like way too much work" and "Text input?? That makes absolutely no
> sense for music.  You're not writing a book! It's a score!".

Well, I'd argue that a mouse makes absolutely no sense for music input.
A practised typist can write several hundred words per minute and keep
this up for quite a long time.

Input the same amount of information with a mouse, and you'll have
Repetitive Strain Injury in no time at all.

MIDI input would be a good compromise if you are an actual keyboard
player: LilyPond's input tool shed is not too impressive here.  But MIDI
only carries the performance part of the musical information, not the
notational part.

--
David Kastrup