Re: Schikkers List

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Schikkers List
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 11:34:27 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Federico Bruni writes:
>
>> Sure, but the thing is: why showing the text input if you cannot
>> modify it?
>
> Why enable editing the text input as long as it's next to useless
> because it's slow and buggy?  Your request is noted, though.

"Next to useless" is O(1) of useful.  Bugs get fewer and machines
faster.  Word for Windows became a success story ultimately.

> Thanks.  I was thinking of active panes in the tutorial.  What if
> you could edit all these snippets:
>
>     http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/simple-notation

I think it would be a big improvement already if
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2578> was
implemented.  And probably a starting point anyway.

>> using a tablature instead of a staff.  You choose the tuning and then
>> enter numbers on each string, then the number should be turned into
>> the right pitch.  I guess this is not easy to implement. But it may
>> attract users of Tuxguitar, Guitarpro and similar.
>
> Can we do away with choosing the tuning, isn't there a common tuning
> for guitar that > 90% of guitars use?

Can we do away with the command line, isn't there a common desktop
environment that >90% of computer users use?

Tuning is not necessarily per guitar but rather per piece.  It is quite
common to have pieces in "lute tuning" (one string a semitone off, don't
remember which one right now) and also to turn the lowest string one
note down occasionally.

As opposed to piano or accordion players, guitar players are expected to
be able to retune their instrument in concert.

--
David Kastrup