Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 07:14:01 -0500

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 1:42 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:
> Where do I sign up and what do I need to know about the way the
> current site works? I cannot write a single line of C++, my Scheme
> skills are meager at best (limited mostly to taking existing code and
> tweaking parameters), and I've only looked into MetaFont enough to
> send a patch to Janek to review to refine the shape note parameters to
> deal with unsightly MI and SO noteheads. (speaking of which,
> Janek... :) ). But I can do web development.

One thing you have to realize that much of the content is created
programmatically with a uniform look and feel.  So much is contained in
style sheets, and most of the rest is basically hand-written fragments
combined by procedures.

Which, in comparison to the popular HTML authoring tools generating
oodles of garbage that fortunately nobody peruses closely, exactly
entails the workflows that would have been used for "something out of
the eighties knocked up on a dos machine".

So if you are versed with modern tools for web development, you may
easily be frustrated at just how little possibility there is for
employing them as you are used to do.

There are modern tools for web development? Seriously, though, except when I've been using a package like WordPress, I've pretty much been hand coding websites for the last dozen years or so, partly because of "popular HTML authoring tools generating oodles of garbage that fortunately nobody peruses closely."