Re: Images from snippets

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Images from snippets
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:55:41 +0100

> Well, one does not need numbers.  One can just use a tag- or tweak- like
> command on elements that should be included in the icon, and then the
> bounding rectangle of all those is taken.  Possibly always including the
> staff lines on the given stretch.

I considered that, too. My reasoning might be wrong, but it was as follows:

1. there should be a fixed aspect ratio for a proper thumbnail look on
an overview page, this is easier with numbers of pixels instead of
bounding boxes. (desired aspect ratio still to be defined)

2. for a first visual impression, the whole object is often not
necessary. In the example I gave, the hairpin does not have to be very
long (not the whole hairpin needs to be shown), just the combination of
hairpin and text must be visible

3. one can still invent some automatic default way to generate such an
icon, in case the snippet-author did not supply the information. But a
human decision what is the best part/detail will show a clearer message
in 95% of the cases.

Joram