Re: How to count the number of notes in a .ly file?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to count the number of notes in a .ly file?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:25:42 +0100

"Jan Rosseel" <address@hidden> writes:

> That's a good suggestion, but it fails on my scores:
>
> Interpreting music...C:/Program Files
> (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/event-listener.ly:145:35:
> In procedure ly:duration-length in expression (ly:duration-length
> (ly:event-property event #)):
> C:/Program Files
> (x86)/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/event-listener.ly:145:35:
> Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting Duration): #f
>
> I don't have time now to figure out what is causing this. Neither can I
> risk making changes to the scores at such a short time before our launch
> concert. Ah well. No note count in my speech then. Would have been nice
> to be able to know how many notes we wrote into LP for the concert.

It helps not to use personal replies: I'm often trying to juggle so many
things at once that stuff will just slip through my attention.

Try putting the following at the top of your score:

#(set! toplevel-music-functions
  (append toplevel-music-functions
   (list
    (lambda (music parser)
     (format (current-error-port)
      "\n~a notes encountered.\n"
      (fold-some-music
       (lambda (x) (music-is-of-type? x 'note-event))
       (lambda (x n) (1+ n))
       0
       music))
     music))))