Re: guitar position indication

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: guitar position indication
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:22:54 +0100

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM, bart deruyter <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks for the tips, Simon's solution seems to be the best. Thank you very much :-D .

you're welcome. i'll be needing this function in the next month or so, so it didn't hurt that you asked... :D

@David Kastrup:
I didn't know \endSpanners. It's an interesting solution, but it adds a spanner line up to the next note in my case. At least here it does with lilypond 2.17.97. I read in the manual it should not though, or am I reading it wrong?

"The music function \endSpanners terminates the spanner which starts on the immediately following note prematurely. It is terminated after exactly one note, or at the following bar line if to-barline is true and a bar line occurs before the next note."

No barline before the next note here though.

correct usage, which works for me:
<<<
   \once \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = \markup \normal-text \bold \large "VII"
   \once \override TextSpanner.to-barline = ##t
   \endSpanners a1\startTextSpan
   d1

It should show no spanner line at all, only the position number, so it will be Simon's solution I guess.

The documentation says it ends the TextSpanner at the next note. The TextSpanner includes the line, so the line is continued until the next NoteColumn (or bar-line if you set TextSpanner.to-barline = ##t). You won't see the line on short note durations, depending on the size of your markup, but on long notes, you will.

If you don't want the line, then it's probably simpler (and less typing) to use markups.

regards,
sb