Question about parallel git repos of source/output files

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Question about parallel git repos of source/output files
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 22:11:16 -0500

I have a question for the git experts on the list. I've migrated my
current collection of lilypond projects to a git repository so that I
can migrate the source files among my various workstations and use
versioning as part of my editing process (so that I can theoretically
keep track of my changes). Since I'm working primarily on my iMac,
using the packaged editor, all my output files are going to the same
folder as my source files. I don't want them to necessarily be wrapped
up in my git repo for my source files, so I have the exclude file set
to ignore .pdf and .midi files.

That said, I would like to have a managed repository of my PDF and
MIDI files so that they can be shared from one computer to another. So
I have a couple of questions regarding that:

1) Is it possible to reconfigure the default LilyPond editor on a Mac
to output to a different location (something I did on the command line
in Linux)? Then I would be able to just shove those to a different
folder and either include them as separate files in the main repo or
run a separate git repo there.

2) Is it possible to interleave two repos so that in one folder in the
main repo, the main repo ignores PDF and MIDI files and the secondary
repo *only* tracks PDFs and MIDIs? The files that are actually
compiled are in a subfolder of the main repository folder.

Thanks,
Carl P.