shorten stem

From: pabuhr
Subject: shorten stem
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 14:06:51 -0500

Merry Christmas, if anyone is out there today.

I'm trying to squeeze a piece onto a single page, and I'm fussing with stem
direction to control the height of the lines. I got the song to fit on a page,
except there are few note/beam clashes (see example below). Is there a way to
manually raise the beam to prevent the note clash. It's not going to look
pretty, but its more important to prevent page flipping.

\version "2.16.0"

melody = \relative c' {
 \time 3/4
        << { \stemUp e2 e4 } \\ { \stemDown s2 \shiftOn e,4 } \\ { \stemDown s4
g4 s4 } \\ { \oneVoice \stemDown e'8 [ c ] \stemUp g [ c ] \stemDown e c } >> |
        << { \stemDown \shiftOn f,2. } \\ { \stemUp f'2 f4 } \\ { } \\ {
\oneVoice \stemDown f8 [ d ] b [ d ] \stemDown f d } >> |
}

\score {
        <<
                \context Voice {
                        \mergeDifferentlyDottedOn
                        \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn
                        \clef "treble_8"
                        \melody
                }

} % score

% Local Variables: %
% tab-width: 4 %
% compile-command: "lilypond --ps test1.ly" %
% End: %