Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: why you don't contribute to Mutopia
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 00:03:10 +0100

Hi,

The webpage it self should look more modern. IMSLP is a good example but
even small changes could help a lot.

> 2. Licenses
> Currently Mutopia accepts only transcriptions licensed as public domain,
> CC By, CC By-Sa:
> http://www.mutopiaproject.org/legal.html
>
> I don't know what led to this decision, but I can imagine that at least
> CC By-Sa-Nc would be preferred by some.

BY-SA-NC is not approved as a free cultural license:
http://creativecommons.org/freeworks
These arguments should be considered. But it is a valid choice and it
could also be good to have that option.

And the mutopia footer with its varying font sizes is ugly!

> 4. Web interface
> Currently the contributions are handled via github or by email.
> Github is a good way but it's for geeks only. There are currently only
> seven contributors:
> https://github.com/chrissawer/The-Mutopia-Project/graphs/contributors

I didn't know that this git repo.

> The email may be a good alternative, but who is receiving contributions@
> emails? Just Chris? I have no idea if people send contributions this way.

The last time (1 year ago) I sent an email to the suggested address, I
did not get any reply. So I didn’t try again and thought Mutopia is just
dead. I have some scores, that I could upload, I could also use them to
test any new upload feature.

> A modern web interface may attract more contributions?

For several years now, I have sketches and ideas how that could work and
look and I always wanted to learn enough web techniques to make a
proposal which can be tested. But so far I still don’t have the
capabilities to do it.

The last discussion I started about Mutopia ended without changing the
website. If there is a chance that things really end up on the website,
I would search for the notes I have taken back then and contribute to
the discussion (but unfortunately not to realize it, see above).

Updating the current version would also improve it. I could take care of
updating some scores.

Cheers,
Joram