Overriding (dashed) ties when entering lyrics

From: muggle
Subject: Overriding (dashed) ties when entering lyrics
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:28:49 -0800 (PST)

When I put in lyrics, each syllable that I enter falls under a note in
"melody", unless the note is tied over. Is there a way to override this
feature when the tie is say, dashed?

I've tried to put

    \override Tie #'tieDashed = ##t

inside the context bracket

    \layout {
        \context { } }

but I just get an error:

warning: cannot find property type-check for `tieDashed' (backend-type?).
perhaps a typing error?
warning: doing assignment anyway
warning: cannot find property type-check for `tieDashed' (backend-type?).
perhaps a typing error?
warning: doing assignment anyway
warning: cannot find property type-check for `tieDashed' (backend-type?).
perhaps a typing error?

Here's my code:

\version "2.16.2"

melody = \relative c'' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4

  a8 \tieDashed b~ \tieSolid b b c c d d
}

text = \lyricmode { \small
  la la la la la
}

upper = \relative c'' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4

  a4 b c d
}

lower = \relative c {
  \clef bass
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4

  a2 c
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "mel" { \autoBeamOn \melody }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto mel \text
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = "upper" \upper
      \new Staff = "lower" \lower