Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:12:53 +0100

On 01/16/2014 12:02 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Simon,

Does the font handling in Lilypond know about ligatures in opentype fonts?

I don’t believe so… one of the many typographical features Lilypond lacks.

It should, AFAIK.

Using the same font

p.s. What font is that? It’s lovely.

I assume it's Cronos <http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/cronos/>, since that's what you mentioned in a former mail explaining your house style sheet.

Another question: why has the Umlaut over the "u" gone wrong in lilypond's
output?

Please give your code — I’ve never had diacritical markings go wrong like that.

Agreed.

Could this stem from the fact that you're using the Typekit Sync to get the font (see, I remember that, too...) I have no idea how exactly it works, and which environment you use; but if they want to protect the font from being copied out of your box, I can imagine that the font is changed in a subtle way such that Ligatures are off their default position or whatever... Also, try the same code with the default Century font. This should explain whether Lily or your font/Typekit is to blame...

HTH,
Alexander