Re: How do I get Emacs mode?

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: How do I get Emacs mode?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:02:58 +0000

On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 19:54 -0500, Hwaen Ch'uqi wrote:
>      Just a question or two, based on my own experience. Did you first
> remove (or purge) LilyPond 2.14.2 before installing 2.18.0? Otherwise,
> your system may still be using the older installation.

Yes, I removed 2.14.2 using the Ubuntu Software Centre.

> Also, where did
> you install the latest version? If I remember correctly, the automatic
> installation of 2.14.2 places the bin files in /usr/bin. To keep this
> consistent, I installed LilyPond 2.18.0 in /usr/, using the --prefix
> argument.

I used the default, which installed LilyPond into /usr/local/lilypond,
with links in /usr/local/bin.

>  Third, have you established that the .el files are exact
> copies by using a program like diff?

Yes

>  To be utterly safe, I always
> remove the old .el files (which even purging will not remove) and
> replace them with the .el files found in the new installation. Lastly,
> if you use the info files to read the manuals, be sure to move them
> from their original location to the /usr/share/info directory;
> otherwise, you will not have access to them by the normal means.
> Hwaen Ch'uqi

What manuals?  I don't seem to have any.  One of the things I liked
about the Ubuntu installation of LilyPond 2.14.2 was that the html
manuals were installed on my hard drive and so were available all of the
time.  I don't seem to have that for 2.18.0 and can only view the
manuals via the LilyPond website, but I should very much like to install
them on my machines if possible - I can't always rely on having a usable
wifi connection with my netbook.

Incidentally, both the pieces I have set so far now compile correctly
under 2.18.0, without errors.  And, yes, even the misaligned dynamics,
which were the reason for my original question, are corrected now.

Thanks for all your help.

David