Re: \bendBefore

From: Xavier Noria
Subject: Re: \bendBefore
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 23:12:15 +0100

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Nathan <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Xavier Noria <address@hidden> wrote:
> A web search shows \bendBefore is not implemented. I have tried some
> snippets found out there but failed to get the bends (using LilyJAZZ if that
> matters).
>
> I need the bend to indicate how to attack certain notes in saxophone scores.
>
> Does anybody have a modern snippet to share?

If you'll bear with me here, I find \bendAfter to be rather ugly and
not at all like the slides I've seen in jazz lead sheets. (For one, it
stops where the next note starts, usually creating a curve that's too
long or too short on the horizontal axis.) I prefer a different
approach to bends, which looks nicer and is also easily extensible to
something like a \bendBefore.

Anyways, something like the following has served me well:

#(define (scoop-stencil grob)
  (ly:stencil-add
    (ly:note-head::print grob)
    (grob-interpret-markup grob
      (markup #:with-dimensions '(0 . 0) '(0 . 0)
              #:translate '(-0.2 . -0.5)
              #:path 0.25 '((moveto 0 0)
                            (curveto 0 -1 -1 -1.5 -1.5 -1.5))))))

scoop = \once \override NoteHead #'stencil = #scoop-stencil

\new Staff { \scoop c''4 }

The bend has fixed size and position. That's usually good enough for
me, but if you require many bends of different sizes, this should be
adapted into a music function.

Works like a charm, thanks very much!