Re: Dynamics over-lapping with bar-lines

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Dynamics over-lapping with bar-lines
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 18:01:02 +0000

Thanks for your reply - it solves the problem of bar-line/dynamic
collisions (or rather, it side-steps the problem).  Actually it also
begins to answer what might well have been my next question, because
generally I prefer the left edge of dynamics to be related to the note
position.  But I should like it to be a little further to the left than
the value of -1 gives.  That is a bit of a problem, because the value
required for a dynamic such as 'f' will be different from that needed by
a wider marking such as 'ffff'.

Is there perhaps a way of specifying where the left edge of the dynamic
should be in relation to the note?  For instance, I might like all
dynamics to appear about half a note-head's width before the left edge
of the note-head itself.  It is going to get very tedious having
continually to specify different self-alignment-X values when there are,
say, alternating 'p' and 'mf' markings.

Also, considering that LilyPond is generally so good at avoiding
collisions, I have been surprised to find that it seems to have no
objection to printing dynamics and bar-lines on top of one another.  Is
there no way to tell it to avoid these collisions?  I would have
expected avoidance to be the default, with an override to allow
collisions if that is what is wanted in a particular case.  But the
default appears to be that bar-lines and dynamics pay no regard for each
other.

Am I missing something here?

David