Re: Behaviour of TextSpanner dashes

From: Phil Burfitt
Subject: Re: Behaviour of TextSpanner dashes
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 14:52:22 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden>
To: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 1:59 PM
Subject: Behaviour of TextSpanner dashes

Hi,

in the attached image you see a TextSpanner, and I'm having some issues
with it:

- why is the first dash longer than the other(s),
  is this a design decision (if yes, why)?
  can it be modified?
- is it possible to make a TextSpanner always to align
  to the right edge of the score (i.e. the barline)
  and let the dash structure adapt to that?
  (I see the 'right-bound-info' property but didn't
   find any helpful information on that alist)
- is it possible to tweak
  - the attachment of the first dash to the text and
  - the vertical position of the dashes (i.e. raise
    it a little bit relatively to the text)
  ?

Thanks for any explanation or ideas
Urs

Hi Urs,

You can change the look of the dashes (add your own numbers) ...

\override TextSpanner.dash-period = #0.8
\override TextSpanner.dash-fraction = #0.2

and you could add a space after "rit.". ie. "rit. ".

or maybe...

\override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = \markup { "rit." \hspace #0.5 }

You could also superscript a space after "rit." which would raise the dashed line, or maybe use \vspace or \raise.

Don't know if that helps?

Phil.