Ottava

From: Noeck
Subject: Ottava
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:19:42 +0100

Hi,

what is the recommended/default formatting for ottava marks/brackets
(8va)? I would like to collect some opinions/examples/references on this.

1) 8
2) 8va
3) 8^va (8 + va superscript)
or others?

In bold or not bold? And with dashed lines or dotted or others?

What does E. Gould say or do you know 19th century scores with ottava
brackets?

I am pretty sure that I have seen 8^va bold, but I can't find it. The
only occurrence I could find in my scores was:
Boosey & Hawkes: 8 bold ยทยทยทยท (with dotted lines)

Cheers,
Joram