Layout-level between-staves spacing

From: Javier Ruiz-Alma
Subject: Layout-level between-staves spacing
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:03:40 -0800 (PST)

Is there an equivalent command to either:

\version "2.16.1"
\paper{ system-system-spacing #'padding = #6 }
or
\paper{ system-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #12 }

That could be applied in the \layout block to adjust vertical spacing between staves within a single score?

I have a multi score compilation book where I need to do these score-level adjustments, but these don't seem to work at the \layout level.  I tried adding \bookpart and redefining \paper, but that brought its own bag of side-effects and difficulties.

Javier Ruiz
address@hidden