Re: About "lilyglyphs" package usage difficulties

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: About "lilyglyphs" package usage difficulties
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 23:08:32 +0100

Hello,

Am 22.02.2014 21:46, schrieb Server Acim:
Hello,
I am a composer and music teacher at the Inonu University - State
Conservatory in Malatya, TURKEY. Also I am the Director of Inonu
University - State Conservatory. I am also the Full Professor of
Composition and Conducting at the University.

You're welcome.

I am using Linux Mint 16 (Petra) Cinnamon Edition as basic linux distro.

I am very interested in "lilyglyphs" package. Because, I am writing some
of my textbooks with LaTeX and LilyPond. Sometimes I need some musical
symbols just like lilyglyphs package does while preparing a little
textbook for my music students.

First of all, the Linux Mint distro does not have the lilyglyphs package
in its repository at the moment. I sent an e-mail to the developers of
Linux Mint as my wish of entering this package. I hope that we can see
it in the next release of Linux Mint.

I'm not really sure if that's the right approach. lilyglyphs is a "LaTeX package" and not a "Linux package", so it can be part of a LaTeX distribution, but not directly of a Linux distribution.

By the way, I installed Fedora 20 - LXDE desktop into my old laptop. I
had bought it in 2003. I installed the lilyglyphs package into the
Fedora 20 - LXDE. But, I could not able to compile example file of
lilyglyphs package. "I do not know how to compile it". I know to compile
an LaTeX file with pdflatex only.

I read the manual of lilyglyphs. But, I have some critics.

I was not able to understand that:
a) If I want to compile the example.tex file which is given at the
manual, which command will I use?

b) The manual is very detailed but there is not any sentence about like
this: "You can compile this file with this command: "xxxlatex example.tex"

OK. Before I'll look into what I've written exactly, please tell me which version of lilyglyphs you have (see at the beginning of the manual), and where you got it from (CTAN or Github?).

In its present state lilyglyphs _requires_ XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX, which is surely mentioned in the manual. Moreover, LuaLaTeX must be very current (e.g. the version in TeXLive 2013 works while TeXLive 2012 does not). The reason for this restriction is that lilyglyphs accesses the glyphs from LilyPond's OpenType font, and this is only possible with these two LaTeX engines. There is a way to change the behaviour so lilyglyphs would also be compatible with plain LaTeX, but I don't know _anything_ about the necessary steps and can't start learning it because I wouldn't use it anyway. Unfortunately I didn't manage to keep track of the one offer of assistance in this field so far - I really should come back to this ...

So you need to run "xelatex example.tex" or "lualatex example.tex" to see if it works.

c) I am using "texmaker" LaTeX editor. It is very good for me. But, what
kind of settings should I make for using lilyglyphs package.

You need no settings. You just have to find the command to trigger xelatex or lualatex instead of pdflatex. If you should ever (like me) come to the decision to use one of these exclusively you should assign the "compile and view" command (IIRC) to it.

d) Once before a month ago, I tried to install lilyglphs package
manually but I was not able to do it. Is it possible that to prepare a
installer file? It could be compressed in a ".tar.gz" package. After
untarring, we cand find an ".sh" file. After changing the permisson of
this file with "chmod" commands, with "./xxxx.sh" command neccesary
packages can be installed to the relevant directories.

I'm not sure if that's possible because there could be so many different systems and combinations (operating system and LaTeX distribution) that I don't know if it's doable in a straightforward manner. The point is that in addition to making the package itself usable for LaTeX one has to take care of the fonts. The easiest way to get lilyglyphs to run is of course getting it through TeXLive (2013), which does everything correctly by itself.

I saw some python files inside the package that is relevant for
compiling the .tex files but I was not have to time reading it.

No, the Python files aren't necessary for compiling .tex files. You _can_ use them for extending the package. They are used to generate a bunch of new commands in one run. But that's definitely "advanced use".

I want to congratulate Urs Liska for the package, but these are my
problem about the package.

Thank you. The best way to express your appreciation is learn how to use it, spread the word, and - when you use it regularly - contribute back new commands.

I suggest we move this to private conversation now. I'm always interested in users' perspectives like yours. I'd like to walk you through to being able to use the package and use this experience to improve the documentation.

Best
Urs

With my respects.

--