Re: Lyrics formatting issue

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: Lyrics formatting issue
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 06:42:39 +0000

At 23:53 23/02/2014 -0500, Antara-Prabhat Kalajian wrote:
I am having trouble with the spacing of the lyrics on this score. The straight words (Bengali language) are: Ajanar maha parichoy But perhaps because of the bar lines, the syllables are being spaced very far apart, so that the words are no longer recognizable (in most instances). As you can see, I've manually inserted a bar and break of my own. Perhaps my method could be improved upon, but this makes the typeset score appear the way I want.

Thank you for any suggestions!

\version "2.18.0"
\include "english.ly"

melody =
        \relative bf' {
        \key df \major

gf'8 [ff] ef df ef2 c8 df ef2. df8 c bf2. \bar "" \break
gf8 [af] bf c ~ c1 ef,8 [f!] bf af gf1 }

text = \lyricmode {
A - ja - nar ma - - -ha __ _ _
pa - - - -ri - - - choy }

\score{
  <<
    \new Voice = "one" {
      \melody
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" \text

  \layout { } }

Your first problem is that your semibreve C in bar four should actually be two tied minims - so that the second minim can appear in its proper place in bar five. If you write "c2 ~ c" in place of "c1" and remove the explicit system break, you will get something closer to what I'd expect.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker