Re: Alfabetto chordnames

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: Alfabetto chordnames
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 21:28:01 +0100

Hi!

Hi Andreas,

Is there a way to get Lilypond 2.18 to generate chordnames in the 17 th century alfabetto notation.
The notation consists of letters of the alfabet and some other symbols used as names for chords or more correctly specific fingerings  on a specific fretted instrument.
The letters/ symbols are random names of the fingerings and not related to the roots of chords (as in modern chord notation). For example g major chord on the baroque guittar is
named A. ( Acctualy depending on the tuning used a <b, d  g d' g'> or <b d g d' g'>  in modern chordnames a G/B or G/D ).
In a more developed wersion of the alfabetto the names consists of a letter name and a number the later signifying the frett on wich a given fingering is to be played. (As example in this style a G3 chord acctualy is a G major chord eg a F major chord  ( < c, f a c' f'>   on the third frett of the guittar.

I do not know enough of Lilypond internals/ programing  to get this kind of notation.

Please check here for a possible start :
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=848

It's actually something I'd like to work on in the future.
I'm thinking about using the Bravura font (see this article : http://lilypondblog.org/2014/02/feta-and-bravura/) in a LilyPond code.

HTH
Pierre