Re: Is this reasonable/playable (guitar)?

From: John Link
Subject: Re: Is this reasonable/playable (guitar)?
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 10:23:34 -0500

On Mar 6, 2014, at 9:53 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

John Link <address@hidden> writes:

The runs are playable, but in each run I would either play the final B
on the open B string or omit the C in the following F chord.

Well, the C is the target of the run so it's not really an option to
omit it.

Even though it's the target of the run I think it could be omitted because the melody is also a C and if it's omitted I doubt that it would be noticed. Besides, even if the C is omitted on the first beat it will sound on the second and third.

 With regard to playing on the open string, I've basically
taken the phrasing as I would do it on a violin.

But if you were going to play a chord on the violin following the run I bet you would like to have the B on an open string so that you could get your left hand ready for the chord.

My answer to your original question is "no" if you insist on the Bs being played on the G string and the Cs following the Bs.

 When including a
TabStaff, I don't really have the option to leave the string choice to
the discretion of the player.

The advantage of tab is that it shows on what string to play each note. The disadvantage of tab is that it shows only one possibility of what string to use to play each note.

But I probably should at least remove the string indications in the
normal Staff.

I don't see any reason to keep them, since a guitarist is going to play the run as he sees fit whether or not you include the string indications.

John Link

http://www.cdbaby.com/all/johnlink
http://www.myspace.com/johnlinkproject