Replacing glyph visuals with arbitrary unicode character

From: Joey Di Nardo
Subject: Replacing glyph visuals with arbitrary unicode character
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:16:24 -0400

I'm looking for a method to replace glyphs (in this case, clefs and certain rests) with unicode values from a preinstalled font.

I can access the character I want with the standard \char ##xyyyy where yyyy is hexadecimal, but I would like to find a way to replace a glyph with the character without affecting its functionality.

Anyone know a way to go about this?

Thanks,
Joey