[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: An old claveciniste's notation

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: An old claveciniste's notation
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 00:11:15 +1000
User-agent: Postbox 3.0.9 (Windows/20140128)


As a harpsichordist, let me clarify, The snippet is one way to render it graphically.

The sign is known as a coulé in French, but the Germans used the same sign and called it Schleifer (there's another meaning to Schleifer but lets not turn this into a treatise!). It's not a 'light arpeggio' as the LSR snippet claims. A coulé  indicates to join the notes indicated a third apart with the intermediary note in a run, and the whole chord arpeggiated, or shaded as harpsichordists say, sometimes or sometimes not, depending on taste (le bon goût Couperin always mentions).
There are a dozen other signs for
coulé  that I have seen. The slash is quite common. But often its nice and curvy, as per baroque taste. This is before the age of industrial standards and ISO norms. :-)

If you are engraving
coulés I wager you are going to need pincé  and all the usual suspects as well!


Tuesday, May 06, 2014 11:34 PM
I am typesetting some music that needs a slash between the notes of a
chord, as in the attached image.
Any suggestions how to achieve this? (I'm not sure what it is called, or
quite what the execution is either, but that is another story...)

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]