Re: An old claveciniste's notation

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: An old claveciniste's notation
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 00:11:15 +1000

Richard,

As a harpsichordist, let me clarify, The snippet is one way to render it graphically.

The sign is known as a coulé in French, but the Germans used the same sign and called it Schleifer (there's another meaning to Schleifer but lets not turn this into a treatise!). It's not a 'light arpeggio' as the LSR snippet claims. A coulé  indicates to join the notes indicated a third apart with the intermediary note in a run, and the whole chord arpeggiated, or shaded as harpsichordists say, sometimes or sometimes not, depending on taste (le bon goût Couperin always mentions).

There are a dozen other signs for
coulé  that I have seen. The slash is quite common. But often its nice and curvy, as per baroque taste. This is before the age of industrial standards and ISO norms. :-)

If you are engraving
coulés I wager you are going to need pincé  and all the usual suspects as well!

Andrew

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 11:34 PM
I am typesetting some music that needs a slash between the notes of a
chord, as in the attached image.
Any suggestions how to achieve this? (I'm not sure what it is called, or
quite what the execution is either, but that is another story...)