Re: An old claveciniste's notation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: An old claveciniste's notation
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 20:18:45 +0100

On Wed, 2014-05-07 at 00:11 +1000, Andrew Bernard wrote:

> Richard,
>
> As a harpsichordist, let me clarify, The snippet is one way to render
> it graphically.
>
> The sign is known as a coulé in French, but the Germans used the same
> sign and called it Schleifer (there's another meaning to Schleifer but
> lets not turn this into a treatise!). It's not a 'light arpeggio' as
> the LSR snippet claims. A coulé  indicates to join the notes indicated
> a third apart with the intermediary note in a run, and the whole chord
> arpeggiated, or shaded as harpsichordists say, sometimes or sometimes
> not, depending on taste (le bon goût Couperin always mentions).
>
> There are a dozen other signs for coulé  that I have seen. The slash
> is quite common. But often its nice and curvy, as per baroque taste.
> This is before the age of industrial standards and ISO norms. :-)
>
> If you are engraving coulés I wager you are going to need pincé  and
> all the usual suspects as well!

Yes, I don't know whether using mordents etc will be sufficient for this
job, or whether new glyphs will be needed. Has LilyPond used for
typesetting the French clavecinistes does anyone know? I didn't manage
to track down the list of glyphs available (it's in the documentation
somewhere) but I don't think they include the various 18th c ornaments.

Richard