[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: An old claveciniste's notation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: An old claveciniste's notation
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 20:18:45 +0100

On Wed, 2014-05-07 at 00:11 +1000, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Richard,
> As a harpsichordist, let me clarify, The snippet is one way to render
> it graphically.
> The sign is known as a coulé in French, but the Germans used the same
> sign and called it Schleifer (there's another meaning to Schleifer but
> lets not turn this into a treatise!). It's not a 'light arpeggio' as
> the LSR snippet claims. A coulé  indicates to join the notes indicated
> a third apart with the intermediary note in a run, and the whole chord
> arpeggiated, or shaded as harpsichordists say, sometimes or sometimes
> not, depending on taste (le bon goût Couperin always mentions).
> There are a dozen other signs for coulé  that I have seen. The slash
> is quite common. But often its nice and curvy, as per baroque taste.
> This is before the age of industrial standards and ISO norms. :-)
> If you are engraving coulés I wager you are going to need pincé  and
> all the usual suspects as well!

Yes, I don't know whether using mordents etc will be sufficient for this
job, or whether new glyphs will be needed. Has LilyPond used for
typesetting the French clavecinistes does anyone know? I didn't manage
to track down the list of glyphs available (it's in the documentation
somewhere) but I don't think they include the various 18th c ornaments.


> Andrew
> > 
> > Richard Shann
> > Tuesday, May 06, 2014 11:34 PM
> > I am typesetting some music that needs a slash between the notes of
> > a
> > chord, as in the attached image.
> > Any suggestions how to achieve this? (I'm not sure what it is
> > called, or
> > quite what the execution is either, but that is another story...)

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]