Re: "dal segno" several times

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: "dal segno" several times
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 17:18:52 -0700

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 05:53:33PM -0400, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2014 12:56:27 -0700
> Jim Long <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 12:18:37PM +0100, Carlo Vanoni wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a simple song, where the verse is 4 measures repeated
> > > twice, and the chorus again 4 measures repeated twice.
>
> What would you do if you had seven verses? Or twenty?

I would still give the same advice:  Don't write

(Intro)
/Segno/
|: 4-bar verse  :|
|: 4-bar chorus :| "D.S. 7 times" (or 20)
(Outro)

but instead write:

(Intro)
|: 8-bar verse   |
|  8-bar chorus :| "play 7 times" (or 20)
(Outro)

The OP didn't mention lyrics, but sure, if there are some,
stack the stanzas up 7 or 20 deep under the melody staff.  Or
perhaps if there are that many stanzas, list them at the end
of the music, as per

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/stanzas#printing-stanzas-at-the-end

Then the performer should see pretty clearly how many times to
play the verse-chorus pair.