Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 15:03:08 +0200

Am 20.05.2014 14:55, schrieb Jeff Holland:

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:46:08 PM UTC+2, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Or just communicating with the QuickTime synthesizer directly?

Sure, whatever works. (I just thought the combination I mentioned sounded
better.)

That may not be a bad idea.  But then how would you handle Lilypond
upgrades?

People could always install newer versions and add them in Preferences >
LilyPond Preferences. Frescobaldi already handles multiple versions of
LilyPond intelligently, which is helpful.

We already had the idea of letting Frescobaldi handle the LilyPond installation in order to offer an easier entry path. On startup it would try to determine if a working LilyPond is installed, and if not, offer to download and install it. In the same line there could be a function "look for LilyPond updates". IIRC we postponed the idea until there is an end-user friendly way to install Frescobaldi on Mac.

I think directly bundling LilyPond wouldn't be that good because it definitely bloats the package even more, without being useful for _every_ user.

Urs