Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 16:19:34 +0200

> On Tuesday, May 20, 2014, Jeff Holland <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Monday, May 19, 2014 6:50:31 PM UTC+2, Davide Liessi wrote:
>>>
>>> The main problems are:
>>> - PortMIDI is not included in the bundle, and even if it is included
>>> (with the appropriate option of py2app) Frescobaldi cannot see the
>>> MIDI ports provided by SimpleSynth or FluidSynth;

I did not say that it is impossible to bundle a working PortMIDI with
Frescobaldi: I just haven't been able yet because it does not work in
the most obvious way.

>> What about bundling, say, FluidSynth and the soundfont from MuseScore so
>> that MIDI playback would work "out of the box" as it does in the Windows
>> version of Frescobaldi?

This would require a working PortMIDI anyway.

> Or just communicating with the QuickTime synthesizer directly?

Being able to use QuickTime as MIDI synthesizer would be good: I still
would prefer FluidSynth, but QuickTime support would avoid depending
on external software and would give working MIDI playback out of the
box.
But I believe that this also would require PortMIDI.

Before implementing new Mac-specific features in Frescobaldi, I would
like to solve the current problems of the bundle (PortMIDI and
convert-ly) and be able to publish an official Frescobaldi application
bundle with the next release.

Best wishes.
Davide