Re: unterminated tie?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: unterminated tie?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:00:47 +0200

Marc Weber <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for your fast help.
> I don't quite understand why its important to disambuigate.

A tie is basic notation, meaning that there is only a single note and a
single attack.

A slur is not a notational element but rather an instruction for
execution.  As an example, if I write

{ c8 d8( e4) c2 | c8 d8( d4) c2 }

for a single-manual instrument (like piano or accordion), the intent is
to play the second phrase with comparable articulation to the first
phrase.  Usually you will try to use the same fingering, consequently
doing a finger switch on the d4.

In contrast, with

{ c8 d8( e4) c2 | c8 d8~ d4 c2 }

the second measure basically has a d4. in the middle.

That's quite an important distinction.  Since the tie is a notational
instrument for indicating a single note, it does not make sense to write
it for connecting different pitches (the special case of a single note
ending at a different pitch than it started from is called "glissando"
and notated differently).

> One of the following would have helped me:
> - nicer error message
> - hint in documentation such as "ties only connect notes of same pitch"

The learning manual directly references the glossary which states

1.311 tie
=========

ES: ligadura de unión (o de prolongación), I: legatura (di valore), F:
liaison (de tenue), D: Haltebogen, Bindebogen, NL: overbinding,
bindingsboog, DK: bindebue, S: bindebåge, överbindning, FI: sitominen.

   A curved line, identical in appearance with the *note slur::, which
connects two succesive notes of the same pitch, and which has the
function of uniting them into a single sound (tone) equal to the
combined durations.

Ties and slurs are followed by a section

Warnings: slurs vs. ties

Music Glossary: *note (music-glossary)articulation::, *note
(music-glossary)slur::, *note (music-glossary)tie::.

   A slur looks like a tie, but it has a different meaning.  A tie
simply makes the first note longer, and can only be used on pairs of
notes with the same pitch.  Slurs indicate the articulation of notes,
and can be used on larger groups of notes.  Slurs and ties can be
nested.

     c4~( c8 d~ 4 e)
[image src="lilypond/47/lily-e3ec48f4.png" alt="[image of music]" text="image
of music"]

So let's look at the notational manual now.  It starts with

Ties

A tie connects two adjacent note heads of the same pitch.  The tie in
effect extends the duration of a note.

          Note: Ties should not be confused with _slurs_, which indicate
          articulation, or _phrasing slurs_, which indicate musical
          phrasing.  A tie is just a way of extending a note duration,
          similar to the augmentation dot.

So how do you suggest improving this, and where?

--
David Kastrup