Re: Repeat volta not at beginning of piece doesn't get initial repeat ba

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Repeat volta not at beginning of piece doesn't get initial repeat bar line
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 20:21:07 +0200

[sorry, forgot to reply to list]

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 08:53:23 -0700
From: Jay Anderson <address@hidden>
To: Patrick or Cynthia Karl <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Repeat volta not at beginning of piece doesn't get
        initial repeat  bar line

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Patrick or Cynthia Karl <address@hidden> wrote:
Section 1.4 of the Notation Manual says about volta repeats:

volta           The repeated music is not written out but enclosed between
repeat bar lines. If the                             repeat is at the beginning
of a piece, a repeat bar line is only printed at the end of the
             repeat.

But the following snippet does not generate the initial repeat bar line, apparently because of the
"||" bar line.  But the "||" bar line does not indicate the end of a piece.

I have tried several things to get the inital repeat bar line to appear without success.
I suspect it's not very difficult.  Can anyone please tell me how to do it?  And if I'm
correct about the problem being caused by the "||" bar line, the documentation
should probably be changed.

\version "2.18.2"

music = \relative b' {
    a1 a a a
    \bar "||"

    \break

    \repeat volta 2 { a4 b c d }
}

You're right that the \bar "||" is overriding the repeat bar. I assume
you're wanting a double bar before the break. Use \bar ".|:-||"
instead. You can lookup valid bar strings in bar-line.scm.

Sorry, that doesn't work for me, result is the same.  I assume you're saying to replace the \bar
"||" with \bar ".|:-||".

It should work with \bar ".|:-||" instead of \bar "||", though.

I still don't understand why the "||" bar is overriding the repeat bar, as "||"
doesn't signify end-of-piece so the \repeat volta is not at the beginning of a piece so the initial
repeat bar line should be printed.

Lilypond's bar lines have four values: the unbroken bar line, the parts
that are used if the bar line is at a line break, and a corresponding span bar line.

If you manually set \bar "||", then lilypond sets the corresponding
bar line types for the end of the line and the beginning of the
new line, which overrides the \repeat settings.

I must admit that the workaround above is in no way an ideal solution,
but it is not that simple to convince Lilypond to do the right thing
out of the box ...

HTH,

Marc