Re: With \markup { \score { can I separately control the score size?

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: With \markup { \score { can I separately control the score size?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 10:10:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Is this way of scaling a score (by putting it inside a markup) the best way
to do it, if you want to keep all of the proportions strictly consistent at
different sizes?

The approach in the staffSize snippet does not keep the proportions
consistent, which becomes apparent at larger sizes (perhaps this should be
noted in the snippet text).  The set-global-staff-size approach also seems
to leave the staff lines and stems proportionally thinner at larger sizes.
See examples below.

I sometimes use LilyPond to create SVG images, and then I edit them with
Inkscape to adjust their size.  That's because I couldn't find a way to
resize them with LilyPond without affecting the proportions, but it looks
like this markup scaling approach might do the trick.

-Paul

Examples of three different ways to scale a staff to twice its size:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.7"

staffSize =
#(define-music-function (parser location new-size) (number?)
   #{
     \set fontSize = #new-size
     \override StaffSymbol.staff-space = #(magstep new-size)
     \override StaffSymbol.thickness = #(magstep new-size)
   #})

mySize =
#(define-scheme-function (parser location nmbr score) (number? ly:score?)
   #{ \markup \scale #(cons nmbr nmbr) \score { #score } #})

theMusic = \relative f {
  c'8 d e f g a b c
}

{