Re: See the new music fonts in action

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: See the new music fonts in action
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:17:46 +0200

Hi,

WOW!! just... wow!

> All,
>
> I couldn't wait any longer, so here's a formal announcement about the new
> music fonts that I've been working on, by way of example. They are all 100%
> LilyPond compatible for both PDF and SVG output. They all (except Gonville)
> support the full LilyPond glyph set (up to LilyPond version 2.18.2).
>
> So far, there are now 9 music fonts in addition to LilyPond's default
> *Emmentaler* (also called /Feta/ in the official docs). Here's a taste test:
>
> - *Amadeus* (SCORE look-a-like):
>
> SCORE comparison <https://db.tt/pN6iRsgH>
>
> Can you guess which one is really engraved using SCORE?

Bottom one:
- slurs have different thickness and shape,
- stems and ledgers are thinner than in LilyPond,
- staccato placement on stems differ,
- rest placement in polyphony differs,
- "dim" font is different

Nevertheless, it is very similar :)

> - *Cadence* (a tweaked Emmentaler by me):
>
> Grieg's Piano Concerto in A-minor (Adagio) <https://db.tt/icYgT0M3>

Nice!  I'd say that the beams are a tad too thick, but looks good overall.

> - *Gutenberg1939* (old removeable-type style):
>
> Canon in 3 Voices <https://db.tt/RBjSKBLK>

Looks fancy!

> - *Haydn* (like a classic Edition Peters style):
>
> Magnificat <https://db.tt/CX14jc3z>
>
> You can compare this with a commercial version (Kapellmeister) on the
> Sibelius Blog from a few months back:
>
> Original Score
> <http://www.sibeliusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Magnificat-in-D-BWV-243.pdf>
> Kapellmeister on Sibelius
> <http://www.sibeliusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/magnificat-Full-Score-dragged.pdf>

"Our" version looks better :D  In particular, our notehead shape is
much more like the original - although the flags are significantly
differrent.

> - *LilyJAZZ* (a pseudo-handwritten style, originally by Torsten Hämmerle):
>
> Crazy Jazz Tests <https://db.tt/T1WwGLiz>
>
> This has been upgraded a bunch, by myself and others, including a complete
> glyph set (notation and text) and updated chord font.

cool!

> - *Paganini* (remapping of Kristof Bastiensen's /Parnassus/, originally for
> MuseScore):
>
> Nalada (Paganini) <https://db.tt/GdyXV0kX>
>
> - *Profondo* (Bravura anyone? This is a remapping of Daniel Spreadbury's
> SMuFL-compliant font):
>
> Nalada (Profondo) <https://db.tt/1B9JoPz0>
>
> Compare this with  Bravura in Sibelius
> <http://blog.steinberg.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/fibich-bravura.pdf>  .

It would be great to have the engravings done in the same page layout,
for better comparison.

> - *Ross* (from Ted Ross's famous notation book /The Art of Music Engraving
> and Processing/, and named after him):
>
> Nalada (Ross) <https://db.tt/5uHcypFg>

Hmm.   Somehow this doesn't feel like Ross (although maybe it's
because i've only seen the scans, not the print).  It seems to me that
staves and other lines should be thicker.

> I realize that this is a little like drinking from a fire hose, since this
> has never been done like this before,

indeed!

> but if you're like me, I think you'll
> like having lots of choices. These are all properly licensed, so they will
> be free to use, copy, and share!

I LOVE IT!!
And i would also love to see a post on Lily blog, and a news item -
this deserves a lot of publicity, it's a major feature IMO!

> If you have any other ideas for music fonts that you'd like to use/create,
> drop me a line and we'll talk :)
>
> More to come, so stay tuned! Let me know if any of the above links is
> broken.

We definitely should gather these in some visible place when all the
infrastructure for using these fonts is stable.  I think it actually
deserves to be put on the website!

thanks a ton!
Janek