Re: thanks again for the editionEngraver

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: thanks again for the editionEngraver
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:38:20 -0400

Hi Jan-Peter,

> I think the most complicated part is addressing multiple voices in one Staff.
[…]
> propably there are more things to modify to make it more intuitive.

I think the stated problem would be solved *AND* the whole machinery made more
intuitive by allowing a context to be “direct addressed”, i.e., the context

    \new Staff = “MyStaff” \someMusic

would be mod-ed using something like

    \editionMod ThisEdition 1 0/4 APiece.MyStaff \override …

as opposed to

    \editionMod ThisEdition 1 0/4 APiece.Staff.B \override …

It seems like a very small change — and might mess up your “templating”
system(s) — but three obvious and immediate benefits are: the ability to move
contexts within the score block without having to recode the edition; the
ability to change the type of context without recoding the edition; and the
ability to quickly cross-reference a mod with its context (i.e., no need to
“count” contexts).

Consider it?

Thanks,
Kieren.